- On the 21st June 2017 I turned 21
- Myself and my cousin were attacked in East London as we sat in a car
- The attacker poured acid over us both
- This was followed by an attempt escape, which resulted in a car crash
- It has been reported the attacker chased after the car until we crashed until he made off
- Whilst in hospital I made a Twitter thread regarding the attack which went viral
- The attack gained worldwide coverage and highlighted the recent spike in acid (corrosive substance) attacks
- This acid attack was the first to be considered a hate crime
- After 2 1/2 weeks of a manhunt, the suspect the police wanted to speak to handed himself in
- He has since been arrested
I can’t change what has happened to me and I can’t fix anything. I refuse to dwell, and all I can do is hope for justice. The only thing I can do is help to make a difference. Since the attack, the number of attacks have been increasing and people of living in fear. With fear came hate… And I wanted to make sure people didn’t lose themselves when provoked by others online. I posted a Facebook status which was then applauded online for its message of peace after what I had been through (See below). Although I was in hospital, in terrible pain and without any idea how I was going to look after all the healing, I knew I couldn’t allow this one sick person to challenge the goodness inside of them.
If everything happens for a reason, then surely one of the reasons this happened to me was so that I could take this opportunity to make sure something positive came from such a traumatic and viscous attack. From my hospital bed I have began working with others to develop ways to prevent these attacks from happening in the future, and take back our communities from the grips of fear. I will be updating this post with the latest news in regards to the campaign. I hope I can help make a difference, because no one deserves to go through the physically and psychological pain of an acid attack. See below is my Twitter thread that started this whole thing off!